Initiative is "recognizing and doing what needs to be done before I am asked to do it". Initiative has to be balanced with patience and dependability. You cannot shirk your responsibilities in one area to show initiative in a different area. A person who shows initiative will not only demonstrate to those around them that they care for them, they will also cultivate a life of motivation. They will show that they are willing to step out and do what is right without having to be constantly reminded and prodded.
- Do what is right before being told.
- Not put off until later what I can do now.
- Do my part for the team.
- Be a part of the solution rather than the problem.
- Look for ways to help others.
- Why do you think initiative is an important character quality to develop?
- When has someone shown initiative to help you? How did that make you feel?
- What are a few ways that you could show initiative today?
- Who in your life, or in history, do you think is an example of being an instigator of good?
(Permission granted to reproduce this lesson for educational use. Credit: CharacterFirstEd.com)